Thursday, July 10, 2008

Summer reading

When Billy and Rebecca received their summer reading list in the mail a few weeks ago we immediately went to the library to retrieve the books on the list and get started! If we didn't get there right away there would be waiting list and they need to read - what better than the required books.

Both of my children weren't as enthusiastic about this plan as I.

Rebecca loves to read. She reads countless books outside of school assignments. She goes to bed and reads every night and many times carries a book around the house through out the day. Sending Rebecca to her room is a gift - she reads! Why was she protesting?

Billy (remember polar opposite) would list reading as the last possible option for his time. If fact he probably would list it at all! Reading for Billy is difficult and always a punishment despite all my attempts to show him the explorations you can experience in books. His protest - no surprise.

Well here we are weeks later and regardless of their moans and groans over summer reading they are doing just that reading! I am thankful to report they are actually enjoying (no surprise right?) the books they protested and making great progress through the list.

I continued to be perplexed over Rebecca's disinterest in summer reading until last week.

I received a letter from the school where I teach announcing two books the administration wants the staff to read over the summer. I got my summer reading list - yikes! I love to read - Rebecca received that gene directly from me - I read ALL the time - many times two or three books at a time yet I was protesting, moaning and complaining all the way to school to pick up my books.

Well here I am happy to announce I love the books. I haven't finished but what I have read is great. They are challenging, encouraging and filled with God's truth. So why the complaining?

I have a theory. It is all a matter of being told instead of choosing. Rebecca loves to read what she chooses from the library shelf. I love to read the newest publication from my favorite author, Billy - well :) he does love to read animal books. But the common word is choose. Why do we struggle when it is by command?

Selfishness? Stubbornness? Nearsightedness? Rebellion?!?

"Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting." Psalm 139:23-24 (NIV)

Lord, please forgive me when my thougths and words are rebellious and selfish instead of submissive to your authority and the ones you have placed in authority over me. Please help me teach my children the beauty of submission and obedience in their lives. Thank you for your forgiveness and patience with this your child. I love you! Amen.

1 comment:

Jean said...

Amen!

Jean
http;//www.jeanmatthewhall.blogspot.com