Today Billy, Rebecca and myself took a road trip! I have wanted to visit Mt. Airy, the home of Andy Griffith, for quite sometime and decided a few days ago it was time for the Mayberry trip.
My trip didn't begin as I had hoped. Oh, don't get me wrong we had the cooler with water bottles & snacks loaded up, we had the mapquest directions, and the computer print outs of all the "must see" attractions. Physically we had every thing we needed but my heart was wounded this morning as we started our journey.
Yesterday some words that were spoken hurt me. I was disappointed, shocked and so deeply saddened by the state of bitterness I saw. I want to be sensitive and say I know there are times life is so hard - physically, emotionally and spiritually, but I was rendered speechless over what I was hearing come from a person who I know loves the Lord and has served him faithfully. I spoke to the Lord through many tears as I drove to Mt. Airy this morning. Asking the Lord to heal my wounds and fill my heart with the forgiveness I knew I needed to extend.
When we arrived in Mt. Airy my spirit felt lighter and I was determined to give this to God and enjoy my children the rest of the day. We started at the regional museum which is always interesting. The kids fly through in 30 seconds flat and are ready to go when I am still reading the information cube at the first exhibit! I was very thankful when I saw a checkers set outside the replica general store so they sat on crates and challenged each other to a game. We finished the tour of the museum and headed to the second "must" - Snappy Lunch and their famous pork chop sandwich.
Next door to Snappy Lunch was Floyd's barber shop and that is where my day really changed. We walked into a tiny shop. It was as wide as the front window and door with high 12 foot ceilings and two barber chairs. In that shop I met Russell. He is the 80 year old barber who charges $8, wears a tie and was eating a pork chop sandwich when we arrived. He immediately stood up to greet us as if we were the first tourist to ever visit and began to chat. He was delightful, full of energy and completely authentic. You know what that feels like to meet someone who you know is true, real, with out pretense. Russell made you happy the minute you walked in the shop.
More tourist walked in so we made our way to the door and he called for us. He wanted to take our picture in his barber chair and hang it on his wall which was wallpapered with pictures of many guest including Oprah. I thought we had to pay for it but no, it was just because to Russell we were guest and he wanted to capture our visit. After the picture and lots of thank yous we once again headed for the door when he called me again. He wanted to tell us goodbye and give us a hug.
Russell's hug at Floyd's barber shop in Mt. Airy was the balm in Gilead today for me. His kindness and genuine love was overwhelming to my wounded heart. I thought of the words of David in Psalm 27. "I am still confident of this: I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living." Psalm 27:13. Russell, you were a vessel of His goodness today in the midst of a world where the enemy uses the weak to wound us. Bless you!
Lord, thank you for listening to me and capturing my tears this morning. Thank you for orchestrating a concert of love to me today through your servant Russell. May you bind the enemy from those who are weak in body and spirit today and sing a melody of healing over them. I love you! Amen
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



1 comment:
I'm so proud of you.
Love
Mom
Post a Comment